Finding the right glove for softball players can be narrowed down into a few categories.
How serious of a softball player are you?
This question will get the budget taken care of right away. If you are serious I would spend the money on a nice Kip leather glove. It will be soft yet have professional level durability. It is a high end leather used by experienced players or those that aspire to be.
If you are a beginner or just at a recreational level getting a cowhide glove will be a more affordable alternative that still does the job.
Most new players do not have the dexterity in their non-dominant hand to close a glove properly; therefore, we recommend a supple cowhide glove that is still durable & malleable.
Another thing to factor in for the serious player is to get a glove that is best suited for their position.
Here is a quick look at a recommended sizing chart.
- General sizing charts for players in the infield can be anywhere from 11.5” to 12.5”.
- Outfielders sizes range from 12.75” up to as big as 14”.
- First base gloves range from 12” to 13.5”.
- Catchers gloves fall into a different sizing chart using the circumference as a way to measure So, when you see ranges from 32” to 34.5”, don’t be confused.
Another important thing to remember is sizing your glove properly to accommodate the change in size of ball & age in softball.
- Up to 11 years of age, an 11” ball is standard practice. It is recommended that this age range uses an 11.5” glove or bigger.
- 11 years old - 11” softball - 11.5”+ glove.
- For 12 years of age, we suggest a 12” glove or larger. This allows room for the increased ball size of 12”.
- 12 years old - 12” softball - 12”+ glove.
There are an array of customizable options available now - from picking the shape of the webbing, to the size of the glove, to its overall appearance.
You can personalize the look of your glove by coloring the webbing, laces, binding, welting, and stitching.
The ability to make your glove one of a kind is endless.
The right starter glove can ignite the love of this great game. Choosing a glove can be affordable and or the Rolls Royce of gloves.
You can still get the look, the protection and great overall function within your budget or splurge on the real deal.